Chinese Chicken Manchurian is a famous Indo-Chinese recipe made with boneless chicken. Crispy pieces of chicken are tossed in a spicy and tangy Manchurian sauce and served with fried rice.
It is a very popular dish in Pakistani and Indian restaurants specializing in Indian Chinese cuisine. Peruse on for the recipe for Eatery Style Chicken Manchurian.
Make restaurant-style chicken Manchurian at home
How To Make Chinese Chicken Manchurian?
There are two ingredients to making this Chinese Chicken Manchurian recipe. The first is to fry the chicken pieces and the second is to make Manchurian sauce or Manchurian gravy.
Crispy Chicken: Start by marinating the chicken with spices, and then add cornflour as well as an egg to make a thick batter.
Let the chicken marinate for about 30 minutes and then deep fry the chicken until golden brown and crispy.
Alternatively, the chicken can be shallowly fried, or made in an air fryer. After the chicken is fried, keep it aside.
Manchurian Sauce / Manchurian Gravy: Manchurian is usually spicy with a hint of sourness to balance the spiciness.
Indian Manchurian gravy is usually darker in color, while Pakistani Manchurian gravy is redder in color. The rich red color comes from the use of chili garlic sauce (or chili paste) along with tomato ketchup (tomato sauce).
This spice comes from the use of whole red chilies along with chili paste. If you prefer a less spicy Manchurian, adjust the chili level accordingly.
Making Manchurian Chutney / Manchurian Gravy: To make Manchurian Chutney, start by sauteing garlic and whole red chili in oil, then add cubed onion and capsicum (green bell pepper).
Add the pureed tomatoes, and other fluid sauces and sauté for 2 minutes or somewhere in the vicinity, then add the chicken stock followed by the other flavors.
It is also possible to add chicken cubes/blain cubes with water instead of stock.Allow the combination to reach boiling point, and afterward add the cornflour/cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce.
Once the sauce is completely translucent, add the fried chicken pieces and cook for a few minutes until the chicken is heated through. Garnish with spring onions and serve hot with fried rice on the side.
Ingredients To Make Chinese Chicken Manchurian
- 500g boneless chicken 2 chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
- ½ tablespoon garlic paste
- ½ teaspoon white pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 egg beaten
- 4 Tablespoons cornflour/cornstarch
- Oil for frying
Ingredients to Make Manchurian Sauce/Gravy
- Use 2 tbsp oil same as used for frying.
- ½ tablespoon of fresh minced garlic can be replaced with garlic paste
- 4 dry red chilies See note 1
- Cut 1 onion into cubes.
- Cut ▢½ green capsicum / green bell pepper into cubes.
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of vinegar
- ½ cup tomato ketchup/tomato sauce.
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce or other chili sauce See Note 2
- 1 – 1/2 cup chicken stock or 1 chicken cube/billion cube dissolved in the same amount of water
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons of cornflour/cornstarch dissolved in water.
- 2 spring onions finely chopped (for garnish)
Instruction to Make Chines Chicken Manchurian
- Place the chicken in a bowl and add the garlic paste, salt, white pepper powder, red pepper flakes, and soy sauce. Add egg and mix well.
- Add the cornflour until it reaches a thick batter consistency. The recipe calls for 4 tablespoons of cornflour/cornstarch, but you can add more or less to reach the right consistency.
- Marinate the chicken for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil for frying in a wok or shallow frying pan.
- Add the chicken in batches and fry until golden brown and crispy. Keep the heat on medium so that the chicken cooks on the inside but does not burn on the outside.
- Keep the fried chicken aside.
- Chicken can also be stir-fried, baked in the oven, or air-fryered.
Instruction To Make Manchurian Sauce/gravy
- Place the tomato ketchup/tomato sauce, Sriracha, soy sauce, and vinegar in a small jug or bowl. Stir and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a large wok/medium pot (or dutch oven). The same pan that was used to fry the chicken can be used, just drain the oil and leave only 2 tablespoons in the pan.
- When the oil is hot, add freshly chopped garlic and whole red chilies. Fry for a minute and then add the cubed onion and capsicum.
- Saute for about 2 minutes, and then add the tomato sauce mixture that was set aside.
- Add chicken stock, red pepper flakes, white pepper powder, and salt. Add only a little salt as the other ingredients are already salty enough.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, and then turn the heat to a simmer.
- Add the cornflour slurry and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the gravy is thick and glossy.
- Add the fried chicken to the gravy and mix. Cook for a few minutes until the chicken is heated through. The fried chicken batter will make the gravy a little thicker. If you like, you can add more chicken stock at this stage, and adjust the seasoning.
- Once the chicken is heated through, turn off the heat. Garnish the Chicken Manchurian with sliced spring onions and serve hot with fried rice.